Abacus Truck Lines

Erbie

I can't tell you about their credit but I can tell you, I am a freight broker and spoke to them today. Discussing about freight I have in BC to Montreal. The guy I spoke to made some awkward comments about my views on the rate versus what he wanted. Whoever I spoke to has a very unprofessional attitude, mean and disrespectful. Claims they've been in business since 1950 but with such an attitude, not sure he'll be in business very long!

Darlene

Any feedback on these guys?

Their credit score has decreased in the last 90 days.

They owe us 4400.00, and have been getting the run-around with him, he said mailing the payment, and we have not received..i have been calling every week, and still no response or payment will have to send to collections, they seem to be bad news !!!

T800

They owe us 4400.00, and have been getting the run-around with him, he said mailing the payment, and we have not received..i have been calling every week, and still no response or payment will have to send to collections, they seem to be bad news !!!
Did you haul one of those high paying loads that he got of USHIP and brokered out ??

AbacusTruck

I would like to apologize to all on this post. If we are into you for some money we will get it handled shortly, our pay terms have definitely slid a bit since we had a slow June/July and sales weren't that great. Of course that is no ones problem but mine, but, things are what they are sometimes. I am on top of getting all invoice paid as quick as possible, right now I think we're more like 60 days as opposed to our standard 30 days. I would like to make note that please make sure you send the original proof of deliveries with your invoices, photo copies will not suffice. As for being in business since 1950, at no time have I ever told someone we've been in business since then when our carrier packet clearly shows we got our MC # in 1985 along with some of the other documents.

As for people getting an attitude about freight rates, well if your rate isn't profitable or on par with the rates in that particular lane, then you may hear things you don't want to hear... I just tell it like it is, and what it costs to operate a business. I do apologize if I was rude or unprofessional, that is not my intention but sometimes I can't hold keep my opinion to myself. I will however take all of this with a grain of salt that I need to sharpen up my attitude.

Darlene, tried to look up the load you did but can not find it, please give me a call if payment is not yet received.

And what's with all the talk about UShip, so what if we haul loads of it and/or broker some out? Last time I checked that was perfectly legal and business as usual.

Last edited:

Dunkscd

I would like to apologize to all on this post. If we are into you for some money we will get it handled shortly, our pay terms have definitely slid a bit since we had a slow June/July and sales weren't that great. Of course that is no ones problem but mine, but, things are what they are sometimes. I am on top of getting all invoice paid as quick as possible, right now I think we're more like 60 days as opposed to our standard 30 days. I would like to make note that please make sure you send the original proof of deliveries with your invoices, photo copies will not suffice. As for being in business since 1950, at no time have I ever told someone we've been in business since then when our carrier packet clearly shows we got our MC # in 1985 along with some of the other documents.

As for people getting an attitude about freight rates, well if your rate isn't profitable or on par with the rates in that particular lane, then you may hear things you don't want to hear... I just tell it like it is, and what it costs to operate a business. I do apologize if I was rude or unprofessional, that is not my intention but sometimes I can't hold keep my opinion to myself. I will however take all of this with a grain of salt that I need to sharpen up my attitude.

Martin Lewis, if we're into you for some money give me call. I'm gonna try and find your # and call you.

You can not request the Orginal Bill of lading, it is the carriers who must keep this for their files and send you a copy.

Martin Lewis

No you do not owe us money we were going to haul a load for you load last month, I m glad we did not do the job.
No need to call me,
We do not want to do business with Abacus until you get your financials straightened out.

Last edited:

whatiship

Darlene, tried to look up the load you did but can not find it, please give me a call if payment is not yet received.

And what's with all the talk about UShip, so what if we haul loads of it and/or broker some out? Last time I checked that was perfectly legal and business as usual.

Wow! And to think this dude actually thought about what he was going to write and then hit send................

ShawnR

Site Supporter
the original POD thing is usually BS to slow down payables...

just run with clear copies, everyone else is accepting these nowadays.

rd1020

You cannot ask for the original bill of lading. That is the carriers to keep since they did the load. I agree that asking for the original or saying you didn't get my invoice is BS to slow down payment. If I had an open load from 2 months ago that I haven't received an invoice for yet, I always call the carrier to see where my bill is so that I can get paid from my customer.

Freight Broker

I dunno.. when someone says they're sorry and acknowledges that there's a problem and they're working on it I'd be inclined to cut them some slack. Stuff happens.. we all know that. Original BOL and POD may not be one and the same. The POD can be a document other than the BOL provided, well, that it clearly denotes the load was delivered. Some of my orignal POD's are generated by my carriers, not the shipper. It doesn't really matter. Some people need an orignal to lessen the possibility of geting a fudged document. That's especially true in the LTL biz.. the original BOL goes into billing where a POD is computer generated and accompanies the shipment.. the receiver signs the computer generated POD and never sees the BOL provided by the shipper.

GreatLakes

I knew something would pop up sooner or later so I thought I would address it, and also so that everyone knows what the facts are surrounding Abacus Truck Line 1948 Ltd., and Great Lakes Logistics.

Let's first set the record straight - at no time was I (Nick Jr.) ever the owner of Abacus Truck Line, my father (Nick Sr.) opened the company in 1985, he was the owner up until May 2014. I was the Operations Manager from Nov 1999 until April 2014. In May of 2014 the company was sold to the new owner Jason, he took up my old position as operations manager and payables as well, and I stayed on as sales/logistics from May 2014 until Sept 16th-2016.

I do recognize I was the face of that company for 15 years as operations manager, and 2 years as a sales rep/logistics/dispatcher - most of you know me as the face of Abacus. However, I was never the owner though, and should not be labelled as such - I was just an employee.

I left the company for a variety of reasons pertaining to the general operation in which the new owner seemed fit to run his company, which was not in line with my personal thoughts morally or ethically. To top it off, carrier payments were falling further and further behind, the owner pretty much stopped coming to the office, stopped taking calls or replying to emails, stopped paying carriers or anyone else and I really had no choice but to leave - plus I no longer wanted to be associated with a company run in this manner.

Now, you will all also see that my new company address has not changed from the one Abacus had. Abacus Truck Line rented a yard from me personally, they no longer do as they can't pay their rent either, and in place, I have started my own company and operation based on honesty, moral ethics and paying people on time.

I have to say, I'm still greatly torn and sad that Abacus fell to the demise it has, I put my heart and soul into that company for 17 years and to see it fall dramatically in the last couple years due to poor poor management on the owners part is nothing short of a tragedy in my eyes. However there's nothing much you can do when you're just an employee. I did try to take certain steps to keep things operating properly as far as my own business within the company was concerned, but at the end of the day, the owner just had more control and I couldn't do anything about certain things anymore - e.g. getting past due carriers paid.

I welcome you to contact me if you would like to talk about anything I said or business in general, you can contact me via email or phone.

Best regards, and stay safe out there - I hope you'll all consider doing business with me having read this, and I will be handling my payables in a Cash-On-Delivery type format until I've established a trustworthy credit base with your company. I also have references available upon request.

Best regards,

Nick Doornbosch Jr.
Owner & Operations Manager

Great Lakes Logistics

Matthew

Nothing sounds right.. your word.. you dispatched the load.. its your name tattooed to it.. dispatching loads knowing full well no one will be paid.. we'll .... not right.. even got a posted dated chq .. for it to bounce.... who does that? Lesson learned.. your company or not.. new company.. whos to say you didnt shut down and start up again ... no proof.. but hey... good luck out there.. it's tough..