Ambassador Bridge

Jim L

I spoke to someone at CBSA in regards to the shutdown issue at Ambassador Bridge and that CBSA has not released anything specific about alternative measures and/or going to another port (Sarnia).

He said that he is aware that media has stated that traffic is being re-routed to other land borders and he hopes that Sarnia will allow those drivers who intended to cross at Ambassador to cross at Sarnia without amending all the paperwork. He said that depends on the officer at the line but hopefully in a worse case scenario the driver would be routed to secondary where a senior officer will review the situation.

He also apologized that CBSA has not put out anything official in respect to emergency measures.

Hope that helps everyone.

RAINDOG

Looks to be cleared up now. This did not cause significant delays for us, but we did have a driver get pulled into Xray for several hours.

Jim L

At 4.40pm, bridge is still closed Canada bound. We sent our drivers to Sarnia and they processed it without changing

Jim L

good to know - might just try that
I'm not saying that it will always work but in this instance, and after speaking to CBSA, I felt comfortable doing it. Remember, if you show up at the wrong port you may be subject to AMPS penalties and unnecessary delays.
It sure would be nice if CBSA put a port diversion like this in a contingency plan and then post it on their website when it is in force and we can use it.
Heck it would be even better if they made Sarnia and Windsor the same port number due to their proximity and we can choose whichever seems best. The same would be good for Niagara Falls and Fort Erie.

tasuinam

I'm not saying that it will always work but in this instance, and after speaking to CBSA, I felt comfortable doing it. Remember, if you show up at the wrong port you may be subject to AMPS penalties and unnecessary delays.
It sure would be nice if CBSA put a port diversion like this in a contingency plan and then post it on their website when it is in force and we can use it.
Heck it would be even better if they made Sarnia and Windsor the same port number due to their proximity and we can choose whichever seems best. The same would be good for Niagara Falls and Fort Erie.
That would actually make life so much easier - esp if the broker is Livingston