Covid absenteeism

loaders

Site Supporter
I am sure we’re not the only ones fielding these questions, but many of our clients are trying to find out just how bad the toll from Covid infections is having on the driver workforce. My question then is, are carriers starting to see increased rates of absenteeism due to Covid? Just how severe is it, for example are scheduled runs being cancelled? Watching the news and seeing reports of numerous cancelled airline flights, reduced public transit, etc. is making shippers nervous that the supply chain may grind to a halt. Any current info would really be appreciated.

tasuinam

As a carrier - we are having a hard time planning anything - customers are generally understanding. Had people go on vacation and now they can't return, people testing positive night before sch trip, weather insanity all around.
We have started to book 10% below capacity so we can service the customer - and there are always loads we can book last minute should capacity allow

loaders

Site Supporter
My question is not regarding rates. Even a blind man can see that rates are up. My question is specifically about a driver shortage directly attributable to infections from Covid.

loaders

Site Supporter
That is the kind of info I am looking for. Weather screw ups happen every winter, no surprise there. However, how many carriers are experiencing a shortage of drivers due to illness as a result of Covid infection?

Shakey

Site Supporter
another issue I'm finding is drivers going back home for winter has a lot of trucks parked.

But yes having issue with canceled loads due to drivers with Covid as well.

Last edited:

Rob

Site Supporter
I had it last week was sick in bed for a day or so then nothing other than not being able to go to work. Wife also same thing. I know of 10 people in our little town that have had it last week or so. None of us could get anything but rapid tests so cases did not count in governments eyes.

Do what you can with the power you can get moving and keep your customer in the loop is all we can do. My clients are having big issues with staff off as well. I think the 15th vax mandate is going to hurt a lot of carriers and we will all have staff off over the next month or so they way it is spreading.

Good Luck everyone but this should give us the herd immunity if the powers that be have 1/2 a brain. Probably not as all of us that tested with rapid test will be considered as not a case so the numbers can be screwed with once again to keep the mandates rolling. I think some in the government are getting off on the power.

Navigator

Has the official ruling been made?
No announcement has been made that it is being postponed. CBSA officers are telling all our drivers they need to be registered in the app. Which they all are as of this week!

I have not seen any further announcement on the American side. They had said January as well for drivers to be double vaxed. We'll see...

Wouldn't be the first time WE as a carrier got all our ducks in a row only to be told regulations are being postponed!

Moose

More testing = more panic.
At home testing creating a whole bunch of hypochondriacs, how accurate are these tests?
Influenza and the cold didn't disappear , it's just got catchy new names.
Be safe everyone

Navigator

Anyone have the inside scoop as to why so many trucks are being sent inside at Fort Erie?
All our guys have been cleared and on their way no problem.

Seeing other trucks park for 10 minutes at the booth and then get sent inside. No ArriveCan app?
Canada Customs compound has been full all week with trucks coming and going.
I've never seen so many trucks get sent inside.
It has been entertaining watching some guys try to back in!

PT INC

Anyone have the inside scoop as to why so many trucks are being sent inside at Fort Erie?
All our guys have been cleared and on their way no problem.

Seeing other trucks park for 10 minutes at the booth and then get sent inside. No ArriveCan app?
Canada Customs compound has been full all week with trucks coming and going.
I've never seen so many trucks get sent inside.
It has been entertaining watching some guys try to back in!

vaccine mandate they are checking and making sure its in their system once its in their system drivers don't have to show when crossing moving forward