Covid surcharge

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
That makes sense. Surcharges should apply to costs that are constant and are subject to periodic increases I.e. fuel as a good example. Border crossings are not. We all know that not every trip across the border results in undue delay. Just as in my example of a “winter weather surcharge”, not every trip made in the winter results in delays due to road closures, bad weather, etc.. If the cost of new trucks goes up, or insurance, or tires, or drivers wages, then they should be reflected in a higher base rate.
That is why I've said for years that rates should be based on time time spent to execute the load, not based on the miles. If we billed for on duty/driving hours the pricing model could be tremendously simplified - if people can learn to think like that. After all, when it gets right down to it, the only real commodity any carrier has to sell is their drivers on duty time (supported by truck and trailer) - hourly billing rewards the efficient lanes and penalizes the lanes with inefficient shippers/receivers etc.

Jim L

try close to 3$ for dv
3.90$ reefer
way over 7$ a miles os/ow

miss me with your bullshit if i didnt adjust my rates to market i wouldnt have any trucks to put my crap in
Jeees....time to up my rates. Thanks for the heads up.,

Jim L

That makes sense. Surcharges should apply to costs that are constant and are subject to periodic increases I.e. fuel as a good example. Border crossings are not. We all know that not every trip across the border results in undue delay. Just as in my example of a “winter weather surcharge”, not every trip made in the winter results in delays due to road closures, bad weather, etc.. If the cost of new trucks goes up, or insurance, or tires, or drivers wages, then they should be reflected in a higher base rate.
A border rate will be to cover the additional time/hassle contacting customs brokers, having carrier codes for CBSA, bonds, arranging the paperwork to go between driver and broker, and the time at the border. There may not be an undue delay everytime but carriers do have to stop and chance that they are inspected. In my opinion, carriers that cross the border are not charging enough for the service they provide.

loaders

Site Supporter
That is why I've said for years that rates should be based on time time spent to execute the load, not based on the miles. If we billed for on duty/driving hours the pricing model could be tremendously simplified - if people can learn to think like that. After all, when it gets right down to it, the only real commodity any carrier has to sell is their drivers on duty time (supported by truck and trailer) - hourly billing rewards the efficient lanes and penalizes the lanes with inefficient shippers/receivers etc.
One problem with that model is every driver maybe not as efficient with their time as the next one. In order for it to work, the billable hours for the trip would have to be based on the slowest, most dawdling driver in your fleet. Yes, there are more than enough inefficient shippers and receivers, just as there are “Cracker Jack” drivers and disorganized slow pokes.