HAZ Mat help - empty container

Jim L

I need help. A freight broker gave us a full load of empty gas cylinders UN2187 - stickers are on the cylinders. Of course we are being told that they ship it all the time with non-haz mat carriers when the cylinders are empty and nobody has an issue with it. (Of course, we're the only company out there that makes mention of it). The BOL has no HM column and no indication of HazMat. The shipper did provide a MSDS with section 14 noting that it is Class 2.2 when full but no indication on it about the handling of empty containers. These are not new containers and I am sure that residue exists not to mention that the cylinder could be under pressure. I know that a bulk tanker would be required to post placards even when empty noting the past load may have residue but this is a van load of cylinders.

The driver is waiting for clarification but I cannot find anything definitive on any website stating that it is not HAZ and I'd hate to find out at the scale.

Can anyone offer any help with this?

Jim L

If it said that, would it still be considered as HazMat? The boxes containing the canisters all have the mark of a small green placard for Class 2. It is a truckload of about 17,000kg.
Like I said, I need some information, preferably on a authoritative website, so that when I get into a scale I can prove we made the correct decision.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Jim call your local scale house, they are very helpful and they see that you do your due diligence as a carrier and only improves your image. We've called them several times over the years and they have been nothing but helpful.

Jim L

Jim call your local scale house, they are very helpful and they see that you do your due diligence as a carrier and only improves your image. We've called them several times over the years and they have been nothing but helpful.
That's a great suggestion but I have learned over time that one scale guy might not have an issue with it and the next will take great lengths to stick it to us. (Its the same with customs.)

The fact is that it is a binary decision - it is either HazMat or not. I need the same information that will be used by authorities to make this decision because it is obvious by the conversation here that it could go either way.

Jim L

I can't find it but I'm sure they are, check this below maybe try to call one of their local offices

https://industry.airliquide.us/reso...information/returning-specialty-gas-cylinders
Thanks Shakey, I have stumbled over this as well and this document from AirLiquide clearly states that an X should be marked under HM column on a bill of lading pointing to the fact that it is HazMat. When I tell my customer this, and the strength that AirLiquide has in the industry, I just get told that his customer knows better and that they've never had a problem in the past - just get it done. He says that AirLiquide has nothing to do with this shipment.

I have learned with this to never do HazMat because there is no authoritarian body to make a decision. It could be to your benefit as nobody else can get this information but if it hits the fan I'm sure someone will step up and become your nemesis.

Shakey

Site Supporter
I hear you had same issue with business we walked from Windsor to Chicago empty paint cans many years ago

MikeJr

Staff member
Hey Jim,

Sorry for the late reply (I was off for the last 10 days). Having recently taken the hazmat training course through ICC, for the 5th time as it does need renewal every 3 years I can say that residue does require placards for any hazmat item that required them when full.

I'm sure this load long delivered but I thought to chime in on this.

Keep well,
Mike