I have to ask ... Is there any real value in LoadLink?

AgentSmith

The frustrating part is we have one user license per person and always have, we don't share a logons or use a central computer to limit our costs; we are a long term and good customer for Loadlink.

I have tried supporting various load board startups but they never hit the critical mass of carriers and brokers to be a credible alternative in Canada.

We also use DAT and Truckstop for intra USA moves but these boards can't replace LoadLink for domestic Canada. Loadlink and DAT are owned by the same parent company and I would love to cancel the subscription to both, especially since DAT is currently overrun with double brokers and scammers.

stella

We got the call last week from Loadlink over team members working from home. Loadlink has an issue with users accessing the platform from their home office and not the registered office.

We have multiple people working from home in Metro Vancouver, anyone working from home will be considered a separate office and have to pay the base office amount instead of the current additional user fee.

I'm not going to list the actual cost structure but the base amount is over 12 times the additional user fee for us. This is then multiplied by the number of people working from home.

I have no idea how they will handle companies using the hybrid model.

They also offered the Platinum plan as an alternative to the above but have not received a quote on this cost; guessing it is more $$$ and not less

The conversation with Loadlink was for a Broker, assuming Carriers are getting the same calls.

To answer the question of this tread: There is no viable alternative in Canada, that is the value of LoadLink
Thanks Agent Smith, ditto here in Toronto /Mississauga. It is unfortunate LL has not been able to adapt and update its cybersecurity to allow for remote work. Seems as though with no competition, there is no need for them to upgrade their tech.

martinwizz

You would want to check this out to be sure, but I think their agreement only limits you to one machine per license seat. I do not believe it says anything about how many people are using that licensed machine, nor does it specify how those people connect to that licensed machine. Frankly, although my knowledge is somewhat limited, I don't see how they could monitor, or enforce it. The only way would be for them to have access to your internal IP addressing and no one in their right cyber security mind is going to give away access to that information. That would be tantamount to cyber self-unaliving.
There are plenty of robust load boards in the marketplace now that are either free or very inexpensive, and could easily take LL's place if they get too greedy which, in my opinion, they already have. Higher prices for the same or less service, and their cyber security sucks monkey balls.
To facilitate a wholesale changeover, load brokers simply have to start using another load board, and stop posting on LoadLink. Carriers will follow. LoadLink will die.
So, Load Brokers ... no pressure or anything, but it's all up to you !!! ... LOL
In my opinion, they just tucked the last nail in their coffin. The value is down, risk is high, they enforce stupid policies and there is other loadboard and better solution coming around the corner. We expect to toss Loadlink in less than 2 years. Loadlink is the Tinder of the trucking industry. Not so good to establish relations.

loaders

Site Supporter
I am inclined to agree with the sentiments expressed by martinwizz. What started as an innocuous platform designed to enable buyers and sellers of transportation to conduct relatively simple business transactions, has morphed into an unregulated free for all that has given the unscrupulous and criminal entities a virtual buffet of unsuspecting victims to feast on. Not to say that double brokering and fraudulent scams were not around before Load Link, but look at much easier it has become for those actors to pick and choose who and what to scam and steal.

Michael Ludwig

Speaking of cyber security, I would expect every carrier and load broker that acquires business insurance of some sort, has been approached by their insurance broker to acquire cyber security insurance. MPO is you're a fool if you don't buy it. When you do buy it, your underwriter will require a cyber security assessment. From my interaction with the assessment teams, if you have vulnerabilities that you cannot mitigate or isolate, they will refuse to write you.
Fortunately we passed ours, because our IT contractor is pretty good about this sort of thing, but it certainly brought up more questions than it did answers.
I'll relay a quick story here (nothing I write is ever really quick, but here goes). As a result of our insurance assessment we decided to do a full blown security assessment of our systems and our contractor's systems using a certified white hat hacker firm. What resulted from that was downright scary. Let me preface this by saying our security is good. Our contractor's security is very good.
The hacker firm scheduled a full 8 hour day intrusion of our systems. In 20 minutes they had access to our network. In 40 minutes they had control or our network. In 50 minutes they had access to our bank accounts. In 80 minutes our IT contractor informed us there was an intrusion.
EPIC FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Follow that on with this ... some good folks here informed me that I was posting loads for sale on LoadLink. I was not. In fact our account, at least the one I paid for, did not allow the posting of loads. A/P did not pick up on the fact that the monthly cost of LL had increased a fair bit. Someone had hacked our LL account. I called LL security about it. Their recommendation; change the password.
With most breaches that is good enough as two-factor authentication is required. This is not so with LL. To do a password change at LL all you have to do is either hit the "forgot password" link, or call in and ask them to reset your password ... then they tell you the password over the phone !!!. They have no way of knowing who they are really talking to. And, since the original license is hooked to a specific IP address, LL has just given a potential hacker a straight through gateway to your network. The rest is simply a matter of time and hacker skill.
I don't know if they have changed their security policy yet as I didn't stick with them any longer than that conversation with LL security. I am fortunate that I do not need LL for loads, and certainly do not need them to expose my network.
Oh, and the end result of our scheduled intrusion ... let's just say it's been upgraded. A lot !!!

GSJGCE

Just another reminder of Loadlinks greed. We're shutting down our company. Cancelled DAT no problems there. Cancelling Loadlink and in their policy is 30 notice required so we have to apparently pay for June 5th-June 17th even though....we won't be using it starting this Saturday lol.

Rob

Site Supporter
Just another reminder of Loadlinks greed. We're shutting down our company. Cancelled DAT no problems there. Cancelling Loadlink and in their policy is 30 notice required so we have to apparently pay for June 5th-June 17th even though....we won't be using it starting this Saturday lol.
May we ask who is shutting down hard to tell from your handle.
Good luck in with what is next.

tasuinam

wish you good luck for whatever is next - may I ask what company - Cheers