LOAD BROKERS

MarkD

Site Supporter
I can't believe I'm reading people let their drivers present themselves to customs without being sure their entry is processed and excepted by cbsa. It's been 25 years since I bonded something. Is that process easy-peasy now? (I worked for a bonded carrier back them, not bonded now) Back then if 1 shipment had to bond all other orders were stuck in the trailer until you sorted it out at he bond shed.

RAINDOG

I can't believe I'm reading people let their drivers present themselves to customs without being sure their entry is processed and excepted by cbsa. It's been 25 years since I bonded something. Is that process easy-peasy now? (I worked for a bonded carrier back them, not bonded now) Back then if 1 shipment had to bond all other orders were stuck in the trailer until you sorted it out at he bond shed.

We don't allow drivers to present themselves at the border without an entry number, sometimes driver's being human will cross in the spur of the moment and those times are dealt with accordingly. AMPS fees suck (they were taking it easy on them until recently), so we are extra diligent to ensure no one crosses until their shipments are accepted. What we won't do is wait several hours on our time after a driver has arrived at the bridge and is still not cleared when we have done everything on our end, following proper procedure. In those cases, we bond the load as it is cheaper to bond than to pay a driver to sit for an unknown time, and fail on the driver's next shipment sitting in our yard that the driver is to turn with.

To answer the bonding question regarding inbound from US to Canada - it is very easy now. No more A8A, just adjust the e-manifest, resubmit and now the load is in bond. In regards to LTL, it is only the bonded LTL that sits in bond, everything else is cleared.

tasuinam

We don't allow drivers to present unless the load is cleared - the biggest delay is the custom broker not logging in the paperwork on time so if something is missing requesting it is then a nightmare

MarkD

Site Supporter
We don't allow drivers to present themselves at the border without an entry number, sometimes driver's being human will cross in the spur of the moment and those times are dealt with accordingly. AMPS fees suck (they were taking it easy on them until recently), so we are extra diligent to ensure no one crosses until their shipments are accepted. What we won't do is wait several hours on our time after a driver has arrived at the bridge and is still not cleared when we have done everything on our end, following proper procedure. In those cases, we bond the load as it is cheaper to bond than to pay a driver to sit for an unknown time, and fail on the driver's next shipment sitting in our yard that the driver is to turn with.

To answer the bonding question regarding inbound from US to Canada - it is very easy now. No more A8A, just adjust the e-manifest, resubmit and now the load is in bond. In regards to LTL, it is only the bonded LTL that sits in bond, everything else is cleared.
Are you able to deliver the other LTL prior to dealing with the bonded order? If I recall back in the day a ball seal was put on the trailer and you had to report to the bond shed.

RAINDOG

Are you able to deliver the other LTL prior to dealing with the bonded order? If I recall back in the day a ball seal was put on the trailer and you had to report to the bond shed.
Yes, you can deliver anything that is not in bond from the trailer.

Seth Allen

They don't even put a yellow ball seal on a bonded trailer anymore. Mind you with the bolt and cable seals that everyone uses now it kinda makes the old yellow ball seals moot.