Looking for Recommendations

Gr8Loads

Good day Everyone,

We are running a fleet of 5 cross border trucks with Omnitracs as our ELD provided. Their service was good enough until December 2023. Part of the Omnitracs XRS deal:

Omnitracs provide us the plug and play devices and log in per device

Grove Software Solutions (3rd part of Omnitracs): Provided us with Tablets and data

As of January 2024, Grove Software Solutions disappeared. Not sure if that happened before January 2024 but thats when we noticed because our Credit card info changed, and we tried to update it but no one responds. Now almost 3 months later half of our data plans stopped working. The other half still works for some reason without us paying for it.

When we approached Omnitracs, they say its not their responsibility and we need to establish Data in order to use their service. Clearly now days its not a big problem considering drivers have phone and international plans BUT...

1. We dont want to encourage them to use their hand held devices
2. Omnitracs only works on Android system.

Questions:

1. Can you recommend any companies that provide Data only sim cards for North America ( CANADA and USA ROAMING) at reasonable cost?

We used to pay $10/month for 500 Mbs of data per sim. Seems like Rogers, TELUS, Bell are $40-50/month +. Verizon and other US providers have a Roaming issue when you enter Canada with a Tablet.

Thank you all in advance!

LrgCar

Samsara wants over $10,000 upfront for 5 trucks on 3 year contract. Thats a little steep for us atm
Keep in mind that doesnt solve the data issue, as verizon data is $15 USD/line monthly + Roaming...

Who are you dealign with? that sounds absurd, we didn't pay anywhere close to that and we onboarded 40 trucks and 80 trailers with them when we switched.

Gr8Loads

Who are you dealign with? that sounds absurd, we didn't pay anywhere close to that and we onboarded 40 trucks and 80 trailers with them when we switched.
That makes sense, because you have lots of trucks and trailers. We are only onboarding 5. The sales person I dealt with told me upfront that they are the best in the business but you need to have over 10 trucks to get their "monthly prices"

Recently all the ELD providers are leaning toward enterprise clients much more and leaving smaller size carriers with a higher price tag.

Samsara pricing:

$50/month/vehicle = $600 + HST
Less than 10 units: Must prepay for 3 years $678 x 3 = $2034 / truck
5 trucks = $10,170

Gr8Loads

You can try Motive

They pretty much copied Samsra, and are known for giving small fleets a discount
Tried Motive, their prices are fair but they do not solve my problem. I dont want drivers using their own hand held devices. We have 5 tablets, stationed in each truck. Wondering if someone know of any Data Providers?

LrgCar

Tried Motive, their prices are fair but they do not solve my problem. I dont want drivers using their own hand held devices. We have 5 tablets, stationed in each truck. Wondering if someone know of any Data Providers?

What issues are you having with Verizon, we haven't had any roaming issues, they just pickup all Canadian networks in Canada. Tablets are also known for having poor antennas hence why we switched to Samsung tablets and have had good luck

MLCAR

for data only, your only options are bell, rogers or telus. Unless you can hook up with an American provider. That being said it shouldn't be more than $10 to $15/ month. I'd try the big three again and try to connect with someone who has done these plane before, most sales folks only know of consumer plans and not business plans.

Gr8Loads

What issues are you having with Verizon, we haven't had any roaming issues, they just pickup all Canadian networks in Canada. Tablets are also known for having poor antennas hence why we switched to Samsung tablets and have had good luck

So we opened 3 trial lines and got 3 of their tablets ( they werent samsung) on Feb 3 2024. My driver crossed the border and the Data disappeared.

I contacted Verizon and after 2 weeks they said, on Feb 1, 2024 - a new data blocker came into effect on all tablets roaming Canada or Mexico. Basically they said if we got a mobile phone it wouldn't happen but sounds good like BS. On Feb 3 when I purchase 3 tablets and data plans they were saying it works everywhere 100% lol

Luckily for us they honored their 30 days money back guaranteed.

Your account must still work on their old system, must be why it still works.

Gr8Loads

for data only, your only options are bell, rogers or telus. Unless you can hook up with an American provider. That being said it shouldn't be more than $10 to $15/ month. I'd try the big three again and try to connect with someone who has done these plane before, most sales folks only know of consumer plans and not business plans.
100% - Im trying to find a lead here for someone who can refer me to their sales reps

Gr8Loads

Just to summarize and give appreciation to this forum! It worked its magic with my request.

I was contacted by a sales rep from Invyzn Corp and set up an account with them for what seem to be very reasonable rates. Hopefully everything goes smooth from here :)

Thanks Inside Transport!