MC/DOT FOR INTRA-CANADA CARRIER?

MLCAR

Hello Folks,

not sure if this is right place in the forum for this, but we have a potential opportunity to work with a new customer for intra-canada lanes, however they need us to have an MC or DOT# to setup through their system. We don't have any business going cross-border so we never had the need for an MC/DOT but now this opportunity came up and we are looking into getting either an MC or DOT# so we can register with them.

Getting a DOT only has been floated to us but I'm not sure how that would work, Any feedback on if this is appreciated.

tasuinam

Hi - you can do it yourself not rocket science or have a company set everything up for you ... the diff is cost and time - plus the company has done thousands of these so they will get it done right in the shortest amount of time

or AVAAL - they charge to do it

We went through a company the first time and now do all the renewals etc ourselves - IFTA / DOT update etc... so paid the company one tme fee ...

MLCAR

got it, this is for the DOT and MC? also since we dont run into the states I'm assuming we still have to some sort of insurance coverage to keep them active?

thanks for the quick reply btw!

tasuinam

got it, this is for the DOT and MC? also since we dont run into the states I'm assuming we still have to some sort of insurance coverage to keep them active?

thanks for the quick reply btw!
MC will be active as long as you have insurance (I think) and don't cancel - DOT you will have to file a biannual update on their website of how many miles you do - once you hae it they will send instructions ...

LrgCar

And be prepared for US DOT audits as well.. Virtual and personal, eh..

New entrant isn't very complicated but if you aren't putting very many miles in the states you should not be audited. Also just a heads up, for your new entrant you need some miles in the US, even if its a short trip one time.