Recommended debt collectors?

Henry

Wow, good timing. For Toronto, TCRC is good. His name is Bill. Today i heard about Baxter Bailey. They can pursue carriers anywhere in America. I have an issue myself with a U S based carrier and might hire them.

rmarks

I would stay away from Baxter Bailey. Google their name and you can find hundreds of negative comments.

Henry

HA does a bang up job if you know someone who is patched up :)
But at that point, it's more about the principle than it is the principal ... LOL
HO HO HO... I didn't know it was that type of collections.

Forget the HAs, or any other bike gang around here. Avoid the Italians and Siciilaans also, They are all too well known to the police., for collections. You're best off using KUNG LOK. There are more members in Toronto than all the bike bangs in T.O.and they are ruthless. I don't know about Baxter Baily, but i think you're best off with Bill Tackaberry if the debt is in the Toronto area.

SCAM CHASER

Site Supporter
To be a debt collector in Ontario, you have to either be provincially licensed (posting a $25,000 bond) and have a physical address other than a UPS Store or a residence, in Ontario, or licensed as a lawyer, etc by the Law Society of Ontario.

Baxter Bailey is not a licensed debt collector. They take an assignment of the invoice from the unpaid carrier (usually for a dollar) and they then pursue the debt as "owner" of the invoice.

ROBBY

To be a debt collector in Ontario, you have to either be provincially licensed (posting a $25,000 bond) and have a physical address other than a UPS Store or a residence, in Ontario, or licensed as a lawyer, etc by the Law Society of Ontario.

Baxter Bailey is not a licensed debt collector. They take an assignment of the invoice from the unpaid carrier (usually for a dollar) and they then pursue the debt as "owner" of the invoice.
Why would anyone want to sell their receivable for a dollar?

loaders

Site Supporter
They don’t buy the invoice for a dollar, they buy an assignment of the invoice so that they can try and collect as if the invoice was their own. If they do collect any money, it rightfully belongs to them and they decide how much of it to return to you.

Henry

They don’t buy the invoice for a dollar, they buy an assignment of the invoice so that they can try and collect as if the invoice was their own. If they do collect any money, it rightfully belongs to them and they decide how much of it to return to you.
I looked in to Baxter Bailey a little further. Loaders is right. It seems BB buys a receivable then picks and chooses how much they will pay you. I do not have any direct experiences with them, but if you google Baxter bailey, there are dozens if not hundreds of complaints about them. I am dumfounded to understand why ia transportation co.wpold sell their receivable for a dollar then pray that they BB pays you a fair portion.
I didn't actually know baxter Bailey worked in Canada.

KeyFactor

I'm not advocating their business model and have no relation with BB, but if I look at it from their perspective, why would I pay even $1 for a receivable that is far from certain to be collected? IF I am successful, depending on how much I spent and how long I waited to collect anything, I would then return a portion to the seller, but it's impossible to know in advance how much would be returned because my time/dollar investment is uncertain. I think this could make sense for a carrier that has a lot of money tied up in a receivable and doesn't have a lot of cash lying around to hire a lawyer, which, by the way, requires a far greater up front investment for in exchange for an uncertain recovery.

@SCAM CHASER, I suspect you are a better option for most carriers, but it would be helpful if you could explain your services in greater detail.

Ruler

I would stay away from Baxter Bailey as they are not licensed in Ontario to collect and they will not follow their rate agreements.
Be careful.

Henry

Sorry about recommending them. I heard about them but i had never tried them out. William Tackaberry would be best or he can recommend someone for you.

Henry

Where is he located? You can try Fernades Hearn who are a larger law firm in Toronto.I am pretty sure they can pursue anyone in Canada.