Ridiculous Fines at Receivers

Deisel1

I just received an email from our customer sighting, they are being charged $1800.00 for a late load that was delivered a few days past the cancellation date. In our contract, there is no mention of any breakdown of fines, for example, late deliveries, change of appointment, shortage, etc. Now the customer is expecting us to pay the fine. I know with most of Food & Medical DC's are subject to fines, and I have noticed, throughout the pandemic, I have seen an increase in those fines. But, in all my years in this business, $1800.00 seems off the wall to me.

Is it me or is it a universal industry issue and would love to hear any feedback or thoughts.

RAINDOG

Assuming the delays were communicated and in that time there was no mention of fines along with no mention of fines on the load tender - not sure how the carrier would be responsible for any delay charges? Especially if the delivery appointment was just a rebook.

Regarding brokered freight, we typically send anything back that comes to us stating there will be a fine as there are too many things that can go wrong that are outside of a carrier's control, and some customers can sometimes be over zealous in their charges.

Shakey

Site Supporter
worked for companies that refuse any fines but have seen them pay due to complete operations failures with out any updates or proactive notifications.

Also have worked for ones that figure out how many the will miss and build that into costing for account.

out of bounds by your client to bring it up after...............but I'm sure lots do!

Thefriendlybroker1

We always ad vise our carriers of potential fines prior to pick up and have agreements in place that weather, breakdown or situations outside carriers control and no fine will be applied

As long as issues are communicated - we've always been able to avoid fines.