Westayr

Freight Broker

Doesn't take much time.. it jumped right out at me in about 2 seconds flat. All I'm saying is if something looks a bit off then that should be your first clue that things might go awry regardless of who is to blame. Sometimes one has to question the information provided or we suffer the consequences.

loaders

Site Supporter
I just have a hard time blaming the victim. The bottom line in this case is, if the carrier didn't like the rate, or didn't think they could fulfill the delivery requirements, all they had to do was say.........no thank you, we'll pass. I suppose if they do say yes and then things end-up going bad, we should try and place the blame somewhere other than on them.

Freight Broker

Maybe the carrier made a genuine effort and it just didn't work out. Maybe other orders on the truck delayed the delivery... it wasn't egregiously late. Tuesday would have been fine... it delivered on Thursday. If "no later than Tuesday" was that important the order should have been priced exclusive use, and it should have gone direct via a team. As I stated earlier, the carrier could have been more forthright and had he kept the broker apprised of the progress of his shipment and any problems, the broker probably wouldn't have flamed him on this forum. I'm not excusing the carrier here... I'm simply stating that the broker's decisions and expectations also had a role to play in this disappointing outcome.

loaders

Site Supporter
I agree, the carrier should have been much more forthright and told the broker, yes, I'll take your shipment with the agreed deliver date and at the agreed rate, but, I really don't have any intention of doing what I've promised. I'll do my best, but, you know, shit happens and hey, although I didn't ask for it, you should have paid me more money than what I said I needed. So really, this whole thing is your fault. What were you thinking giving this load to me? Sure, I know I said that I would do what you paid me to do, but come on, what do you expect....miracles, it's just transportation you know.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Ok so both in the wrong Carrier should never have said they could complete when it is almost impossible and Broker should have stuck with proven carriers from the past for an almost impossible delivery so let's say 50/50.

EricG

Site Supporter
Thank you everyone for the responses, it was a learning experience for us as well.

We are now on the hunt for additional GTA-ON -> VAN-BC carriers, as we routinely max the capacity with a number of carriers on Thursdays and Fridays for LTL heading west. It doesn't take much when you have a three thousand direct clients, who use us on a weekly basis if not more often.

As we grow, we are finding that certain carriers are capping the number of loads they will accept from us on a given day. (QuikX / Vitran excluded from limits)

bull958

Site Supporter
Not to be different, but I have to say I've been dealing with Peter for over 15 years and he has never lied to me or provided sub-standard service. I'm not trying to get something started, just saying my piece...

theman

M-O's service to Western Canada is IML, so you know.

We also offer IML LTL service to Vancouver. We'll eventually be expanding it to Alberta but we're starting with this right now. Please PM me if you're interested.

Nawk

I'm surprised to hear this... I've dealt with Peter for a very long time and continue to almost weekly and other than the odd time (weather, breakdowns etc), we've never had an issue with them.

For certain... he's never lied to us.

theman

Never said the service was bad ... just it's not OTR. You'd be surprised how much of the LTL going out there was actually going intermodal.

Nawk

Are they still running trucks ?
Looking at my system... we've only connected twice since Peter left.

NotForHire

Im not sure if Westayr is still running trucks. I think they pickup the freight up with "westayr equipment" and then the consolidate everything on their dock and broker it out! Its not normal for freight to take 3-5 weeks to deliver on the WC. Just my two cents!