Nova Scotia looks to block truckers from ‘gaming’ insurance system

Jim L

Looks like there is going to be an exodus of carriers leaving their Nova Scotia address. It couldn't come at a better time. I would bet that most of the companies that 'setup shop' in NS probably don't even drive one KM in that province.

The only thing the province facility provider is missing is that they didn't take into effect the US rate. They only mentioned the 4 areas of Canada.

Jim L

This is long overdue. They should be auditing IFTA reports to see how many are abusing it.
They absolutely should! My insurance company requires it but when I ask my broker if they are going to confirm the data with Ministry of Finance they said that they cannot. I said 'what is the point' if my competitors can make up any garbage to make it look like my mileage is run is truck friendly jurisdictions. In my opinion reported IFTA mileage should be accessible by stakeholders through a defined process.

tasuinam

They should address the LIMA wages as well.
So a driver told us that they show on paper all leagl - and underpay the driver ... taking out insurance / misc charges / admin fee etc...
the other scam is not providing the drivers a settlement sheet and paystubs - so they submit paystubs to CRA showing a FULL TIME long haul driver makes 30K / year and that way CPP and EI are 1/3 of what they really are... no wonder rates are all over the board - driver has no proof and only a T4 to file taxes that show he made 30K .. he is happy paying less tax... it's horrible the metalilty that makes you think scamming on taxes etc is good civic responsibility

artmax

So a driver told us that they show on paper all leagl - and underpay the driver ... taking out insurance / misc charges / admin fee etc...
the other scam is not providing the drivers a settlement sheet and paystubs - so they submit paystubs to CRA showing a FULL TIME long haul driver makes 30K / year and that way CPP and EI are 1/3 of what they really are... no wonder rates are all over the board - driver has no proof and only a T4 to file taxes that show he made 30K .. he is happy paying less tax... it's horrible the metalilty that makes you think scamming on taxes etc is good civic responsibility

Also usually they are charged rent for their room; which they usually don't visit as most resets are done on the road. There was that youtube video where in some cases drivers were charged for toilet paper.