WCB

Trukker

So as of late we've had to make sure all carriers working for us have current WCB or significant coverage for what ever province they reside in . We had a situation where we had to pay WCB for a carrier that was not relevant to the load they did for us . As explained to us by WCB we should not and cannot release any payables till there WCB is current . Anyone else experience this ?

loaders

Site Supporter
It is a requirement that you maintain a clearance certificate for every carrier/owner operator you contract with. As you have already experienced, a WSIB audit can be expensive if you fail to obtain the certificates. A better
solution than withholding payables, is to withhold the load until you are in possession of the clearance certificate. Just another step a professional broker should take, along with ensuring proper operating authorities, licensing and insurance coverage of all of the carriers you use.

theman

A WSIB certificate from your carrier partners should be a prerequisite for on-boarding a carrier. This has been common practice for many years.

Nawk

Once you have their client number you can check coverage online yourself.

duke22

We have several O/O that have WSIB Exemption letters on file, that we are able to utilize. The Exemption letter must come from WSIB however, we have had a few carriers send in their own exemption letters, those won't hold up.

Trukker

Yes I'm aware they have to have WCB (WSIB) and letters supporting as such as well as we make sure all Insurance and particulars are in order . We also like to maintain there safety ratings for record . I was not aware how ever WCB (WSIB) wants us to with hold payment as we have never with held payment before . They said they can still come back on us to receive payment if something were to occur . Of course all of our Lease Ops WCB is monitored .

theman

The problem with the exemptions is that if someone gets hurt the WSIB is ultimately going to someone. These guys are like the mafia. I would always CYA in that regard.

loaders

Site Supporter
Absolutely. Remember, WSIB is, and has been chronically underfunded for years, and will look into every nook and cranny to scrounge around for money. The best defense with them is to be pro-active and ensure that you have, as theman said, CYA with up to date clearance certificates for each and every carrier with partner with, even if it is just a one time load. If a carrier cannot provide you with their WSIB account number allowing you to monitor their status on-line, walk away and find someone who can.

Igor Galanter

I had numerous occasions when I was a guy for the load right now, but not having clearance letter makes us go apart. It takes a few weeks to receive one. So it's not a Link loads favorite.
I can't sing up with every Link posters, hoping one day I'll get a load or two, even they not in to it either.

MikeJr

Staff member
I thought a single truck show (one courageous man/woman), could be exempt from WSIB as long as they provide their own coverage through insurance providers, blue cross, etc...? I thought that was encouraged/enforced by WSIB in order to prevent:
I open a company, on my second delivery (just after my first payment to WSIB is cashed) I slip and fall out of my truck damaging my lower back and causing me not to be able to perform my work duties for years and being on long term disability. The doctor says it's very serious, the same doctor I golf with every weekend...

I'm glad this thread is here, I'm looking forward to reading more.

Keep well,
Mike

Igor Galanter

Yes, MikeJr, Iwas trying to convince, but then gave up.
Large companies going by there policies and this is it.
Well, there is enough work for me anyways...

theman

The best thing is always to find the right people to work with and build on that. When I was an operations guy on the carrier side, I purposely tried to limit the number of broker relationships I had to companies that I trusted. And if I had to play by the rules and get vetted, so be it. Nothing good comes without some sort of fight.

loaders

Site Supporter
Igor, I understand and appreciate the position you, as a single operator, are in. It is unfortunate that WSIB creates so many roadblocks and complicated procedures for operations such as yours. However, as a contractor of transportation services, we must follow the rules as laid done by the mandarins at WSIB. Not only do we expose ourselves to potential liability in the event of a workplace accident, but we also expose our customer, if the accident takes place at their facility during loading/unloading. The moment you, or your employee walks into the hospital or their doctors office and responds "yes" to the question "did the accident occur at work?", WSIB is on the case and will stop at nothing to determine if the injured party is registered with them. If they are not, they will track down anybody and everybody that was involved with the incident and try to collect from them. Once they have a "victim", they will most likely perform an audit to see if there are any other potential funds they can get.

chica123

Site Supporter
You might find worth considering Igor to register with WSIB and pay the premium...even if you are not legally obligated to do so. I hate paying for something I don't feel I need, but if it opens doors for you and legitimizes your business, you might just earn that money back in better or more frequent loads?

Salma

Unfortunately, WSIB is a HUGE, non-mandatory expense for single operator companies (actually, for all companies). There are a lot of them around and I am surprised that WSIB hasn't come up with any alternate options for them yet. (but that's another issue...)
Money is already tight as it is and then you're going to add another monthly expense of several hundred dollars? It won't work unless the guy is running 24/7, which would never happen.

Igor Galanter

Thank you, gentlemen for support and understanding.
I am Ok for now. Not bending any rules myself.
Learning as I go, I am asking myself if another party required WSIB and we go from there.
Although, sometimes, the person on the phone doesn't even know, so I am just passing them...
In case I will grow I will make a move toward WSIB indefinitely.

chica123

Site Supporter
We could start a whole new thread on the basis that WSIB is so highly mismanaged and non-functional both employers and employees. Yet we have no choice in the matter.....

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
Chica is absolutely correct - the only reason that they are chronically underfunded is that they are chronically mismanaged and chronically overstaffed, I would add also add chronically inept and chronically..... you get the picture