What is a Plate Trailer and what are the differences?

ShawnR

Site Supporter
So we've had customers ask us for 99" or 100" inside width, asking for plate trailers.

I know we've loaded these before, but it seems there may be more than one type of plate trailer or maybe more than one name for this same type of trailer.

Basically they ask for trailers with thin walls. So far it hasn't been so easy to find them on certain lanes.

Can someone provide some insight on this subject? What are other names for plate trailers? What's the real difference?

Thanks!

Shawn

Rob

Site Supporter
A plate trailer has an inside with of 101.25 inches inside with with a door opening of 100 or 100.5 inches. They have a logistic post for securement every 4 feet.

Now I also have full logistics van with logistic posts every 2 feet and every foot in spots that are the same dimensions but some places say they are not a plate trailer.
I love it when they call for a trailer 102 inside width and argue with you when you tell them that is the maximum outside with of a trailer. I just say sure I will send one and send in my trailer and they load it.

Shakey

Site Supporter
Me too Rob I always comment, you sure they want a flat bed?

Duraplate
Ultraplate
Zplate
P-101
SSL 100 & 101
Aluminum Plate

easy question to ask them is there any plywood on the walls of your trailer?

think I missed some but there is a start

theman

Rob's explanation is best. Normal dry van trailers have the structural posts on the inside of the trailer and the walls are lined with either plywood or Kevlar. 98.5 inches inside width is typical on a standard 53' 110" dry van.

A plate trailer typically (but not always) has the structural posts showing on the outside and the actual trailer walls are very thin. So they are usually quoted in the trailer company's spec at 100.5 or 101 inches wide inside.

Plate trailers are usually specified by shippers who are shipping heavy loads in order to maximize payload or sometimes by shippers who are hand-bombing stuff in or at least not palletizing, to get that extra bit of cube out of them.

The large US fleets tyically spec their dry van trailers as plate trailers (Schneider, Swift, Con-Way, Celadon) but smaller fleets typically do not. The disadvantage on plate trailers is that because of the thin walls, they aren't structually as robust as standard dry van trailers and can tend to 'bow out'. Those trailers are usually toast after 10 years, many times sooner. Regular dry van and reefer trailers can usually run longer if they're taken care of and haven't been smacked up.

Our dry vans are all plates, and actually they don't even have wooden floors. They have flat steel floors, increasing weight capacity even further.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
so normal trailers have plywood along the walls and plate trailers don't?

are most new trailers plate trailers or do they still sell both?

why would someone opt for a normal trailer when buying a new trailer? is there a decent price difference?

p.s. we had someone ask us if we had seen those new 106" wide trailers....

Shakey

Site Supporter
Plates are not the best for some loads thou, issues with tires and other hand bomb loads as the trailers bow out in the sides and our fleet has actually been hit with over-width fines due to this.

They still make all types as well Shawn.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
I'm learning!

So I can assume that plate trailers are usually not good for loads that require strapping? also probably not good for shipping forklifts or anything that needs to be blocked & braced?

Shakey

Site Supporter
no fine for those they have posts and places for straps more for hand bomb loads that can settle during transit pushing the walls of trailer out

F1 Freight

Site Supporter
It is important to note that just because a trailer is plated does not mean it is 101" wide; we have several trailers in our fleet that are plated but only 99" or 100" wide. If you need something wider than 99" you will need to be very specific when booking loads where this is a requirement. 102" is the max legal outside width you can be for any regular trailer, and yes you can get a very thin wall but the trailers are much less durable in this case as some other members have mentioned because of this. For specific loads wider than 99" inside width to avoid problems you should verify the interior width before booking with a carrier, not just that the trailer is "plated" inside. Hope that helps

theman

Plates are fine for strapping loads. They are actually most commonly used on automotive freight. Paper companies that ship max weight loads also love the plate trailers, BUT trucking companies aren't necessarily thrilled with them.

Regular dry vans are more durable than plate trailers in general. And Shakey is right, sometimes the plate trailers are spec'd to cheat the 102" width rule by a wee bit, though it's rarely enforced. I mentioned before that bowing over time is a bit of an issue with certain types of plate trailers in particular.

Gord M

We have 50 plated trailers in our fleet, the trailers have e-track in the metal walls every foot of trailer. The plated trailers never get refused at food grade shippers because there is no wood (except the floor of course) there are never any holes in the sides of the trailer or rough edges. The plated trailers we have are 101" wide and they are worth every penny we paid for them. There isn't a negative that we have found, they are just as strong structurally or even stronger than the old woody's.

theman

At my present employ, bowing of the plate trailers (all of our dry trailers are plate style) isn't a problem ... but we are trading them in after 5 years. At my old employ, the plate trailers actually had steel floors but the floors here are of wood.

ZoCNX

All our trailers are plated vans with
100 inches inside and 98 inches at the door.
All traites are different companies some Wabash some grain Dane...
In my understanding it was standard...

Never had problem until today...
I have haul the same load from same shipper many many times. Today I got trailer refusal because they "always" need 101.25 inside and 101.25 at the door. (Even though this exact trailer was used a few weeks ago with no problem).

:(

LrgCar

All of our Dry Vans are plate trailers, we have Wabash Duraplates and Vanguard VXP Vans. You'll see some customers that ship auto parts want these but mostly empty cans are what these are useful for as they are 101.5" wide and have smooth walls inside and don't snag. Some shippers will refuse even new Utility trailers as they are not plated trailers but are smooth inside. I don't see the benefit in spending more for the plate option unless your customer needs them or if you just prefer the Wabash brand or others that make them.